AT HOME OR IN THE CLASSROOM
Some activities are designed to use with an array of books. Others are specific to the Living the Beach Life Series.
- Around the World
- All About Animals
Reading Comprehension – Pre-Reading – During Reading – Post Reading
- Tuesday Trivia – Pose questions prior to reading the book.
- Discuss the cover of the book. Brainstorm as a group about what you think the story is about?
- Use Tuesday Trivia questions to pose prior to reading so that children think about them as the story is told.
- Tuesday Trivia – Use the questions from Tuesday Trivia to test children’s comprehension
- Friday Fun Facts and Photos can be used to help children start stories of their own
- List of Apps coming soon for children to make their own digital stories using pictures
Grammar & Social Emotional
A Little Bit of This and That
Related Links and Resources to tap into
- Caribbean Reads: Supporting Caribbean readers and writers
- Putumayo Kids: “No More Monkey’s” Video
- Unlikely Friendships by Jennifer Holland
- National Geographic Unlikely Animal Friends
- Creating Photo Collages on Pic Monkey
- Abby the Librarian: A great collection of activities and reading lists
- Slime Kids- School Library Media Kids: Language arts-based educational games and book trailers for youth.
- Reggae Pickney: A fun series featuring Reggae Artists and Jana Benet bringing real life environmental issues to life. True Jamaica
- Caribbean Children’s Literature Dianne Browne: Resource for books for Caribbean Children, teachers and parents
- Design to Improve Life: Putting structured creativity on the learning agenda. A framework of methods enabling teachers and parents to initiate change in society by coming up with innovative solutions to real problems like food waste and climate change.
- Kid World Citizen: Activities for children in school and at home to increase global and cultural awareness.
- Caribbean Books Foundation: Where the world meets Caribbean Literature
- St Kitts and Nevis: Two Islands, One Paradise. Information on St. Kitts and Nevis
Bring Living the Beach Life Series to life in your classroom and at home. The series that just keeps on giving.
Would you like the author to come to your school or library?
She loves sharing her stories and helping young readers and writers learn more about the writing process.
Contact us today for more information and booking options.
THOUGHTS FROM TEACHERS ON SCHOOL AUTHOR VISITS
“It was great to have Heidi visit Woodholme again this year. Her classroom visits were fantastic. She responded to students on an individual level and was able to answer their questions. During the grade level assemblies, Heidi shared her books and power point, she shared information about the writing process which was most helpful for students. Having an author share how she gets ideas from real life situations was very meaningful for students.” Michelle Webster, Reading Specialist, Woodholme Elementary
“What a wonderful treat for ALL our students! Heidi Fagerberg not only shared her books and invigorating tales of life on St. Kitts, she walked our students through the writing process. Often, students want to write once and be finished. Mrs. Fagerberg showed them how true authors work with others and make revisions to their work over and over to get the story just right! Our students realized what goes into writing a book and how they can use events from their own lives and share them in new and interesting ways. I highly recommend Mrs. Fagerberg to visit your school to read her books! She entertained, informed, and engaged our students, 1st-5th grade alike, so that they left her excited and ready to pick up a pencil to write!” Colleen McFarland, Assistant Prinicpal, Southgate Elementary